Telnet Information using IE7 or greater
Microsoft Internet Browser version 7.0 and greater no longer supports running a Telnet session from within the browser. Other browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera still support running a Telnet session within the browser.
What does this mean for the www.cdxa.org website?
• If you are using IE version 7.0 or higher, when you click on the K4MD Packet Cluster tab, you will get an error saying “The Webpage cannot be displayed”
What can I do to get around the problem?
- You can create a shortcut on your desktop to run a Telnet session by double clicking on this shortcut. (No internet browser required to be running.)
- How do I Create a Desktop Shortcut Icon to run the K4MD Packet Cluster:
- If your OS is Vista or Windows 7 or higher you will first have to enable Telnet as the default is disabled.
- To Turn Telnet ON: (1) Click on Start Menu >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features. (2) Click on Turn Windows Features On or Off. (3) Check the Telnet Client box and click OK. (4) A dialog box appears, confirming the installation of new features. After installation is complete, close the main Programs and Features Control Panel applet. The telnet command should now be available to create a shortcut.
- Right click on your PC desktop. • Move cursor over New, then click on Shortcut.
- In the shortcut box type: telnet://k4md.no-ip.com/
- Click Next
- In the ‘Select a title for the Program’, type: K4MD Packet Cluster
- Click Finish
- This completes the desktop shortcut. You should now be able to double click the new shortcut and connect to the K4MD packet cluster.